This dessert is to die for! Served hot, this soup like concoction warms the belly, has the perfect amount of sweetness, and is the perfect end to a meal.
Gluai Buat Shee - Bananas in Sweet Coconut Milk
- 5-6 barely ripe bananas
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Peel the bananas and slice into ½ – 1 inch rounds. Set aside.
- Using low to medium heat, bring coconut milk to a boil in a pot.
- Add salt and stir. Add bananas and simmer until bananas are soft but not mushy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Let the pot simmer gently until bananas are slightly softer, another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add coconut cream on top.
- Let cool to warm before serving.
Where to buy coconut cream? Any Asian market should have cans of coconut milk and coconut cream. Make sure you buy the correct one. If you can’t find it, buy a can of coconut milk and do not shake it before opening. There should be a layer of thick white cream on the top and the milk separated on the bottom. You can use the top portion as the cream as well. There is also powdered coconut cream available at many Asian markets as well.
Tip: Sprinkle the top of sesame seeds to add a little crunch.