This dish originated in Isaan, the Northeastern region of Thailand. There are many ways to spice up this recipe and it has become one of my all time favorites here in Thailand. I like to eat it with sticky rice–another one of my favorites!
Laab Gai - Savory Minced Chicken Salad
- 1 lb chicken, ground
- ½ cup water, if necessary
- 2 large shallots, peeled and finely sliced lengthwise
- 1 TBSP toasted rice powder
- Fish sauce, to taste
- Lime juice, to taste
- Ground dried red pepper, to taste
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup mint leaves
- In a skillet, sauté chicken until cooked through. Do not brown the chicken. There should be some juice in the pan. If not, add up to a ½ cup of water to keep moist.
- Remove chicken and immediately add shallots. Toss thoroughly to wilt shallots.
- Add 1 TBSP fish sauce and 1 TBSP lime juice. Toss everything together and taste. Add additional fish sauce and lime juice to taste (2 TBSP fish sauce and 4 TBSP lime juice is average final amounts).
- Add toasted rice powder, toss. Add 1 tsp chili powder and toss. Taste and add additional chili powder to preference.
- Add mint leaves and cilantro and toss thoroughly. Serve.