I thought I’d start you all off with a few simple recipes that you can try … and can’t really mess up! This one is one of my favorites for any meal, especially breakfast.
Note: As of February 6th, 2014 I have updated this recipe. The original recipe was the one I received in our cooking class up in Chiang Mai. While delicious, Cory and I have made this dish over and over … and over again … and found a new recipe that we think is far closer to the flavoring we like. Hopefully you enjoy as well!
Pad Ga Prao Gai - Chicken with Holy Basil
Recipe modified from: SheSimmers
- 1 lb ground chicken (or pork, tofu, or any other protein)
- 8-9 cloves garlic, peeled
- 7-9 Thai chilies (depending on your preferred spice level)
- 1 shallot, peeled and cut in half
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1-1.5 TBSP fish sauce (don’t be stingy on this!)
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP Golden Mountain sauce (if unavailable, add an additional TBSP of soy sauce)
- 1 TBSP oyster sauce
- 1 cup holy basil leaves (most likely you will not be able to find these and can substitute Thai basil)
- Combine garlic, chilies, and shallot in a mini-processor and blend until ingredients form a paste.
- Add vegetable oil to a hot pan; add paste from processor. Fry until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken (or other protein) and stir until mostly cooked. Add remaining ingredients (except basil) and continue frying until cooked thoroughly. Taste test during this process and add additional seasonings as desired.
- Once cooked, add basil and mix lightly until basil is just wilted. Remove from heat.
Tip: Fry up an egg on the side and serve it with rice. It’s awesome!